3/10/2009

Finding Northern Light...

One thing about going to NWT that makes other people excited is the prospect of seeing northern light, aka Aurora Borealis. There are a few myths about them, 1) it moves, it is true 2) it makes a sound when it moves, it is also true 3) if a child is born under Aurora, the child will be king, that i don't know.

The first question I asked before I came up here was, "can i see the northern light?", the answer was no, because the first time I came up here was in the summer, and summer in NWT means sun setting around 12am, and rising around 2am. No time for northern light.

Plus, it has to be cold enough. Best time to see is actually from Jan to March. It is March now...

Yesterday, someone told me that there should be northern light last night/this morning around 12am to 2am. So, I woke up around that time.

Fully geared up, except my tuque and gloves. Brought my camera and flash light. I had no idea how cold it was out there, given it was -51c earlier yesterday. Forgetting tuque was a big mistake, i had my jacket hat up, it was no use, it was so hard to breath. I only managed to walk 50 metres, and had to turn back. It was windy, but wasn't that windy. It was just really really cold. When I came back from the 10 min walk. I was still shivering from the walk for the rest of the night. I had ski jacket, jacket, sweater, thermal underwear and t-shirt...

The walk, however, was magnificant. It was bright outside with an almost full moon, look at the mountains around the campsite, you can see the top of the mountain perfectly from the moonlight. The world is just frozen in place. Only the smoke coming out from buildings can remind you that you are on earth.

The northern light? Nowhere to be found, just the big almost round moon out there...

7 comments:

baboo said...

were u alone out there? hv u ever seen the northern light?

i went to fairbanks twice, and only seen it once. didn't notice the sound thou?! was i deaf? what does it sound like?

lambofsilence said...

Fairbank, Iowa? What the heck are you doing there?

No, I didn't see the northern light, I saw a bright full moon, however.

The locals told me that they can hear a sound if you listen closely, I suppose you might hear it only you are in a isolated location, like where i am.

baboo said...

Fairbanks, Alaska (Fairbank with an "s").

it was like 1am when i saw the northern light. i was at an open field. so quiet, so isolated, so late, so freezing.......just no sound! i must be deaf ><

lambofsilence said...

okay, maybe the person who told me about the sound was pulling my leg... why were you at fairbanks, twice?

baboo said...

just for the sake of seeing the northern light! haha

很小的時候,就知道北極光這個東西,只是不知道這輩子看不看的到。直到我遇上一個人,心裡也藏了這麼一個夢,然後,就出發了。追了兩次,終於給我看到了啦!哇哈哈

lambofsilence said...

你是遇到雪人阿,幹麼追北極光還去兩次.這聽起來像可以八卦的故事...

Anonymous said...

The legends has said that people seeing the Northern light dancing and making sounds. I have only seen Northern Light once above the sky of Churchill, Manitoba. It was a dull greenish belt hanging across the starless sky with a phantom orange moon in soundless night. Even rainbow is more pretty than the Northern Light I have seen.