11/12/2010

The German Restauranteer

Last month, I was enjoying lunch at a Japanese restaurant, when an elderly gentleman turned around and asked him what the characters mean on his tea cup.

I told him I do not know because they are written in Japanese, and I can't read Japanese.

After the meal, I asked the gentleman if he enjoyed his meal.  He said it was great except it was a little greasy, but he added, he has been spoiled with good food in his life.  This gentleman in his 80s, has been running restaurants since the 60s.

He spoke with an accent, and I asked him where he is from, he said Germany.  Then, he told me that he came to Canada in 1948 to work at a mill on Vancouver island.  Later, found himself owning a restaurant in downtown Vancouver, back in the 70s.

What is more interesting is that he told me the name of his first investment advisor, Peter Brown.  You see, Mr. Brown is the founder of Canaccord Capital, a TSX listed investment firm.

Talk to your neighbours during meals, you might find some really awesome stories.

No comments: