7/09/2007

Home is where your heart is

Travelling to the mine site in Northwest Territories is a long trip, took 2.5 hours flight to Whitehorse and stayed for the night. The first thing I realized when I came out of the airport was how quiet it was. No busy cars, no crowd gathering around, just the sound of quietness. It is amazing that it only takes 2.5 hours for one to feel how big Canada is and how small Vancouver is. Throughout the whole trip, I didn't see any person who looks like he/she can speak Mandarin/Cantonese.

Then, the next morning, I took the SUV to Watson Lake, 4 hours east of Whitehorse, there really nothing there, except a "signpost forest", it has a few thousands of signposts from around the world.

It was created back in WWII when Alaska became a major military point to prevent a possible Japanese invasion, the americans decided to build a highway through Yukon for easier equipment transportation. When a soldier became homesick, he started putting the sign of his hometown near Watson Lake. Soon, everyone followed.

Walking in that "forest" was a strange experience, seeing signs from germany, us, and other countries, made me realize that it doesn't matter where you are, your home will always be your home, and you will take that with you.

Some of us have spend a lot of time away from Taiwan, so the meaning of a "home" might be very vague. But, for me, being away from everything familiar, my home is where my heart is, where I know I will get comfort and love when I need.

Oh I miss you so...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh i really wanna see the signpost forest pictures...must be really cool~~