1/11/2018

My grandma and my son

This week marks two special occasion, my son is almost 3 and my grandma has passed away for almost a year. 

Time flies, and when time flies, I realize how much things have stayed the same.  I am still working in the same office, looking for growth, worrying about revenue, still being stingy with money.

But time flies especially with a kid, seeing him babbling, smiling, waddling, walking, talking and trying to tell a story while time just wheezing by.

I can only cling on with my iphone, taking thousands of pictures and videos, keeping any reminders of today while knowing that one day not too far from now, my kid will stop being cute and start being someone he wishes to be.

Then I remember the time we took our son to see his great grandpa.  In his wheelchairs, he smiled at my son, like seeing there is a hope, a future, something precious something that reminded him of better days, yesterdays far away, yet those were the things he probably remembered the best.

The day I saw my grandma for the last time, she was lying in a small coffin.  She looked so little, so skinny.  It was hard for me to accept that she was my grandma, she didn't even look like her.  Maybe it was years of suffering that really changed how she looked.  Or maybe she had stayed in her 60s in my mind, she never changed in my mind.

Who knows when I will be seeing my grandpa for the last time.  I am glad we spent the time even for a few hours.  More glad I was, spending days with my own father and my son.  Dad definitely took a liking for the little guy, and the little guy would take advantage of that and asked my dad to carry him around.

All these will be memories of today, while trying to hold on to what we have today, we are still looking back and marveling our journey.  When turning around, tomorrow is staring us in the eyes, we put one hand to hold on to our photo album and the other hand to push forward.  Until.  Until the day when emptiness sweeps us away, leaving nothing behind.  Maybe a few min in your kid's head every year, and that's probably worth it.

No comments: